The plank exercise is by right considered one of the most popular and effective isometric exercises for training the muscles of the bark. The load on the muscles is created by the body’s tension in the static posture while resisting the force of gravity. In a cramped space or lack of sports equipment – this is an excellent way to maintain muscle tone.
Before the beginning of the training you should familiarize yourself with the features of long static loads, take into account contraindications. Having learned to correctly do the bar, you can achieve maximum efficiency by minimizing health risks.
The main advantages of the exercise
Plank – the exercise is extremely universal, its implementation:
- Does not require special equipment;
- It does not take much time;
- Allows to study various muscle groups.
Exercise simultaneously solves the following tasks:
- Strengthens the musculature and develops strength (even deep muscles that are not involved in performing dynamic exercises begin to work);
- Develops mental concentration (to keep the body in a horizontal position, it is necessary to show character);
- Helps relieve tension after prolonged sedentary work;
- Restores the functionality of injured muscles;
- Improves the aesthetic appearance (forms a correct posture);
- He warms up the body before large-scale physical exertion (applicable as a warm-up).
Correct execution technique
The execution stages are few, but they require extreme concentration:
- Take the emphasis lying down.
- Raise the body, resting on the floor with the palms and toes. Reach out, straightening his legs in his lap.
- Back strain, mentally holding a straight line from the back of the neck to the heel. Bending in the lower back should not be!
- Strain the press, controlling the central area of the body: the stomach should not sag, and the buttocks – rise.
- Neck straighten. The look is turned to the floor.
- Hold the body in the accepted position for as long as possible.
The bar on elongated hands is a simplified version. With it, most of the mass of the body presses on the legs, which is more habitual for the body. The stand on the elbows implies a different distribution of the body weight between the points of the support. Efforts to keep the body in a perfectly flat position need more. Stop setting also matters: widely spaced legs make it easier to perform.
Varieties of the plank
There are many variations of the rack. They are used as the aging grows, when the classical rack no longer causes discomfort. The main condition is a straight body, similar to a stretched string. Consider the following static variations:
- On the forearms (classical) – support on the fingers of both legs and two elbows, the hands are closed in the lock, the forearms are perpendicular to the floor.
- On extended arms – a support on the brush, which are located strictly under the shoulders.
- With one arm raised, one arm is extended forward or set aside.
- With a raised leg.
- With a raised hand and foot.
- Side bar – the body is deployed sideways, resting on two points – the leg and hand.
- With the fitball – the legs or hands are placed on the ball. The rack on the fitball is more complicated: the hands are on the ball, the legs are on the bench.
The reverse variant is performed somewhat differently, which is due to a different initial position. The sequence of actions is as follows:
- Sit on the floor, straightened legs. Stand with your hands or elbows, with your arms slightly wider than your shoulders;
- To reject back the torso, raise the pelvis. Torso, waist, pelvis and legs should form a straight line;
- Strain the press, relax your shoulders;
- Hold the body in the accepted position.
If pain or fatigue occurs, you should lower and take a break.
Duration of training
Usually the retention of the strap begins with 10 seconds. Gradually, with each training for a few seconds, the time is increased to 60 seconds or more. You need to strive for the indicator in three minutes for one approach. Having reached this level of training, you can begin to master the complicated varieties of the rack.
Beginners are often interested in how much to do the bar in order to achieve a tangible result without harming health. Exercise is recommended at least once a day. Training usually includes 1 to 4 approaches. The intensity of training depends on the state of health and the degree of preparation.
Static Load Features
Exercise the bar for the press, the muscles of the back and other musculature gives, albeit a static, but still a palpable load. Like other types of exercise, it has certain contraindications:
- inflammation of the internal organs (cysts, ulcers, fibroids);
- exacerbation of chronic pathologies;
- complicated pregnancy;
- pinch of the sciatic nerve;
- serious problems with joints (feet, elbows, hands, shoulders);
- launched herniated intervertebral discs, requiring surgical intervention;
- cardiovascular pathology.
During the monthly exercise, it is not recommended. After cesarean section it is not necessary to be engaged during half a year from the moment of carrying out of operation. In case of problems with the joints of the hands, the exercise is performed with the support of the elbows.
However, with contraindications, everything is not so unambiguous. Some doctors are sure – the bar has no absolute prohibitions. The main thing – to listen to your body, trying not to allow the occurrence of pain. One way or another, every case has to be discussed with a specialist.
Wanting to lose those extra pounds, many are trying to apply the weight loss exercise. It, indeed, is considered one of the best means of strengthening the abdominal muscles and perfectly tones up other muscles of the body. But lose weight with just one strap will not work. Pursuing, you need to eat right. Another mandatory condition – the rejection of bad habits.
Unequivocal answer, whether it is allowed to make a bar during pregnancy, no. When holding the counter, the muscles of the abdomen strain too much, which can adversely affect the condition of the future mother and her baby. An important role here is played by the degree of athletic training and well-being. If the woman was not engaged in sports before pregnancy, initiation to the retention of the strap should be postponed.
Plank – an excellent remedy for osteochondrosis. Constantly performing the stand, you can strengthen the muscles of the neck, back, shoulders. Exercise is recommended for the prevention of osteochondrosis of the cervical and lumbar spine.
Quite a frequent question – is it possible to make a bar in scoliosis? The answer is yes if the exercise is prescribed or approved by your doctor.
In complexes of exercise therapy for scoliosis and other postural defects, a “side bar” is often used, performed alternately for each side. It allows you to effectively strengthen the stabilizing muscles of the spine, which support the back in anatomically correct position.
If you make an independent decision, keep an eye on the body’s response. If the exercise increases morbidity, it is better to abandon it. Incidentally, this applies not only to scoliosis.
Strengthening of the muscular corset of the back with hernias is an excellent prevention of the further development of pathology. But the action should be extremely cautious – to avoid getting injured and aggravating the situation. Variations are not recommended with the use of moving bases, for example, balls (any, including gymnastic). If pain occurs, it must be stopped immediately.
Plank – exercise is useful and effective. It allows you to qualitatively work out different muscle groups and improves metabolism. Regular training will necessarily benefit both the figure and health in general.